Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ethreal or bust...

   After perusing my options on Google and countless blogs, as to whether I should self publish, which I think is the "new train" option, versus the "old train" option of acquiring a Literary Agent that in turn will help me land a deal with a publishing house, I am slightly closer to knowing exactly what I want to do. What I have to do, if I follow the lead choice, is give up (to some extent) a few things on my book bucket list. I'm seriously leaning towards the world of self publishing, and I'm considering doing this through Amazon. It is after all the leading company in the publishing world today, and seems to have the highest pay-out to writers, which is what my end goal should be ...right? To get paid? Then why is it that I feel a loss when I think I may be giving up seeing my baby (a.k.a. book) on a book shelf when I go to B&N or Target? Or When I think I would miss out on book signings where I get to meet up with the other people in this world who fell in love with the characters I have been carrying around with me now for many years? Can I pull my hair out yet? lol

My mom asked me "What is your end goal? That is what you should keep focused on. That should help you decide". Her answer was "To make money". I thought that was a little flat (having a hard time coming up with a better word to describe it)  So... I asked my self.... what is my end goal? Can "becoming Critic Partners with J.K. Rowling" be my answer? I know this won't pay the bills at the end of the month, so i ask the question again...this time answering "doing a book tour beginning in Enumclaw and ending in Ireland" ? That is the locations in the book so why not? Not only will that not pay the bills, I would have to come up with a substantial amount of money to be able to do that, so ya.... I guess she is right. It should be about making money and not the joy I get from seeing the enjoyment out of the readers faces, but I can still make that #2...right? Oh and if you tell her I said she was right... well, just don't cause I will never hear the end of it. ;)








2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to follow you in your journey! I can't wait to see what you will, and continue to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete